: (760) 346-0545 | Flower Shop
: (760) 346-9415 VIEW CART
Fall Overseeding / Smart Scalping
The over-seeding process begins mid to late September
- reduce but do not eliminate the amount of water applied to the turf
- reduce the amount of water applied to the turf, cut the water back every other day TURF ONLY
- continue to water the rest of garden as usual
Begin reducing mowing heights
- reduce heights ¼ to ½ inches weekly
- remove grass clippings
- height should not be lowered below 1/2 inch
- take care not to lower the mowing heights too much to prevent damage to mowing equipment and ensure healthy regrowth in the spring
- if you see dust during the final mowing, it can be suppressed by slightly wetting the turf
Schedule seeding around the middle of October
- this is the date average night time temperatures drop below 60 degrees
- cooler temperatures slow the growth of bermuda significantly –gradually forcing it into dormancy
- seeding before this will result in rapid re-growth of bermuda
- areas with heavy re-growth will become unsightly in December when bermuda grass goes dormant
- be sure to use perennial seed such as HTI 3 ryegrass; perennial grass grows slower and preforms better in shaded areas
- annual grass is cost effective but you will be mowing twice a week.
- one pound of seed per 50 – 100 sq ft of lawn
- best done by using multiple passes in a criss-cross pattern
- use humus seed cover for quicker germination and to produce a thicker, healthier lawn. One bag per 50 sq ft lawn
- seed must be kept moist, your turf should run on a valve separate from the rest of your garden.
- water in short cycles at regular intervals 3 – 5 minutes; four times during the daylight hours ( every 2 hours during daylight ); do not water at night
- constant monitoring is required, failure to do this will result in poor germination
- maintain this schedule until first mowing ( approximately 2 – 3 weeks ) THEN CUT THE WATER BACK TO ONCE A DAY, 5 – 8 minutes. Follow winter watering schedule.
- mow turf when it reaches 2 inches in height
- re-seed areas with poor germination and top dress where necessary
- use Best Turf Supreme fertilizer after the first mowing
- be certain to water fertilizer into soil
- continue fertilizing through the warm months. Check with a Moller’s associate as fertilizing practices change through the winter months.